Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Snow in Seattle...what??

So... it has been a regular blizzard here in Seattle, from the moment I landed in Seattle and had to taxi through the snow to get to our gate until now, and it looks as though we might still get a little more snow. Crazy. My sister, Robyn, and I spent the last couple days at her fiance's apartment (Jack), keeping warm and playing games and building snow forts, complete with a window (something I think is necessary in any structure), cooking a turkey breast, stuffing and gravy! It has been great. I am so happy to be able to spend this incredible quality time with my sister and Jack. I think we would have spent good time together if there hadn't been this crazy snow, but this has made us spend every possible moment together, even if it means me walking my sister the mile to her work, or trudging up and down the icy hill to get to U Village to finish up our Christmas Shopping. Tonight we all made dinner together again and wrapped presents, all the while enjoying great conversation and allowing Jack and I to get to know each other even better. I love Jack!! He and my sister are such a wonderful match for each other. He is so very sweet and kind, but also is a very strong person, and I have realized that he really understands my sister so well. This makes me happy. They love spending every moment together and they have so much fun doing the everyday things together. That's the way it should be, being in love. Everything can be made into something wonderful because you can do it together and that makes it worthwhile. The wedding planning is nearly finished and the wedding is just a month and a half away!!
Anyway, back to the weather.
A couple days ago, I had to babysit for a family that I used to babysit for in college, but they live in Kirkland, which was not any easy place to get to without a car and in the snow. But I took the bus and it was a relatively easy trip. The painful part came after I got off the bus. I really needed to pick up a picture that I had printed at Costco, as it is a necessary part of one of my presents. Well I was at the bottom of the hill, and Costco is WAAaaayyy at the top of the hill, so I began my careful trudge up the ice coated sidewalk. Mind you, I had already walked 4 miles that morning, in the snow and ice, in rain boots that I am borrowing from some girl I have never met, and I have an overnight bag with me. I also have only 1 hour to get to Costco, then back down the hill, and then about a 12 block walk up another hill to get to the house where I am babysitting. OH MY. Well I don't know when I have ever sweat that much before in my life. The clothes I took off were still damp the next morning! I was a bit late to babysitting, my face an attractive shade of cherry red, and so tired I just wanted to pass out. But I had 8 hours of a screaming 4 month old baby ahead of me, so I pressed on. Whew. Well it's been an adventure. I haven't been lacking in my exercise, that's for sure. We still have to figure out how the heck we are getting to Lopez on Wednesday. Lord, please let the snow melt enough...

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I like being able to know what you are doing. Miss you SO much.